Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When It Rains on Your Beautiful Garden Wedding

When I got married this year, I had a very beautiful wedding in mind. I wanted candles and lanterns hanging on a tree. Something like this:


Photo source : http://www.weddingbycolor.com/marilinmccall

The month I married my husband was on  January-- a month that we seldom get rain showers here in the Philippines. I asked our venue if there were tents ready just in case it rains. Well, according to their account executive, there is but you have to order at least a day before because it needs time to set up. Also, according to her, we'll be updated regarding the weather forecast. I had a a feeling it was better to be prepared. I also asked what if it rains and we did not order tents, then, do we have a place where we could hold the reception? According to her they would be kept to the sides where there are roofs for cover.  However, it wasn't raining for the week and I don't know if we forgot or was too optimistic that it won't rain on our wedding day.

Wedding day arrives!!  Morning it didn't rain, mid afternoon it didn't rain but come 5 pm it started pouring. Our wedding was in the evening.  I still was optimistic it would stop. Well, to cut the long story short, it did rain on our wedding day and of course, since it was a garden wedding, some of the guests felt uncomfortable since the floor was wet although there were roofs and they didn't get a very beautiful view of what's happening in the gazebo where we and the principal sponsors stayed. I still enjoyed the wedding and some of the guest who were gracious said it was a beautiful wedding in spite of the rain.   I'm glad also that the opening prayer of our principal sponsor wished us well. She said  "may the rain bring lots of blessing in our married life". The rain didn't stop even after the reception was over. If indeed the rain was a sign of outpouring of blessing from above,we caught a lot!

Did the rain dampen our spirit? Of course not. Me and hubby enjoyed every moment of it and kept on smiling. Lesson learned:  (aside from getting a tent)  I guess in married life there are some unexpected rains, but what's important is how you react to the situation. Can you prepare enough for a contingency? Sure you can. But there are certain circumstances that are beyond our control. What to do? Do you sulk? Get mad? Blame God? For me, the best thing that a rainy wedding day taught me is how to control my reactions to uncertain events. And I was a proof that a smile and a positive attitude will get you through any rain or storm that could come to ruin your big day. After all, it's not the reception but what happens AFTER the reception that counts.

2 comments: